There are two types of retainers: removable and fixed. Retainers keep your newly straightened teeth in their right position.
Caring for your retainer:
- Once per day, clean your retainers with a toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Once per week, soak your retainers in denture cleaner in a cup of warm (not hot) water.
- Make sure you rinse your retainer with clean water before you put it back in your mouth.
- Store your retainers in the case we provided you.
- Avoid getting your retainers very hot as it can damage the structure of the retainer.
- Don’t put it a napkin. It causes the retainer to try out and it’s easier to accidentally throw it away!
- Don’t leave your retainer sitting out for long periods of time.
It’s important that you wear your retainer as directed, so you don’t lose any of the progress you’ve made with your smile.
Want to know more?
There are many types of orthodontic appliances used as part of your braces or Invisalign treatment. These include:
- Elastics or Rubber Bands
- Palatal Expander
- Separators or Spacers
- Mouth Guards