Orthodontic treatment can be a life-changing experience, helping you achieve a straight, healthy smile that you can be proud of. But how long does orthodontic treatment typically take?
The answer depends on a number of factors, including the severity of your malocclusion, the type of treatment you receive, and your compliance with your treatment plan. However, in general, you can expect orthodontic treatment to take anywhere from 6 to 30 months.
Types of Orthodontic Treatments
There are many different types of orthodontic treatments available, each with its own treatment time. Here are some of the most common types of orthodontic treatments and their typical treatment times:
Traditional braces: Traditional braces are the most common type of orthodontic treatment. They typically take 12 to 24 months to complete.
Clear braces: Clear braces are a less visible alternative to traditional braces. They typically take 12 to 24 months to complete.
Lingual braces: Lingual braces are attached to the back of your teeth, making them virtually invisible. They typically take 12 to 24 months to complete.
Invisalign: Invisalign is a clear aligner system that uses a series of removable trays to move your teeth. Treatment typically takes 12 to 24 months.
Factors Affecting Treatment Time
There are a number of factors that can affect the length of your orthodontic treatment, including:
- The severity of your malocclusion: The more severe your malocclusion, the longer treatment is likely to take.
- The type of treatment you receive: Some types of treatment, such as Invisalign, take longer than others.
- Your compliance with your treatment plan: If you are not compliant with your treatment plan, treatment may take longer.
Milestones to Look Forward to
Here are some of the milestones that you can look forward to during your orthodontic treatment:
- Initial consultation: During your initial consultation, your orthodontist will assess your malocclusion and recommend a treatment plan.
- Placement of braces or aligners: Your braces or aligners will be placed during this appointment.
- Regular adjustments: You will need to see your orthodontist for regular adjustments every 4 to 8 weeks.
- Removal of braces or aligners: Your braces or aligners will be removed when your treatment is complete.
- Retention: You will need to wear a retainer to maintain your results.
Tips for a Successful Orthodontic Treatment
Here are some tips for a successful orthodontic treatment:
- Follow your treatment plan: Be sure to follow your treatment plan and wear your braces or aligners as instructed.
- Maintain good oral hygiene: Brush and floss your teeth regularly to prevent plaque and tooth decay.
- See your orthodontist for regular appointments: Be sure to see your orthodontist for regular adjustments.
- Avoid hard, sticky, or chewy foods: These foods can damage your braces or aligners.
- Be patient: Orthodontic treatment takes time. Be patient and you will be rewarded with a beautiful smile.
Orthodontic treatment can be a rewarding experience that can help you achieve a healthy, beautiful smile. By following these tips, you can help to ensure that your treatment is a success.
Achieving a beautiful, healthy smile might seem daunting, but Reuland & Barnhart Ortho can help you achieve your dream smile.
We offer a wide range of orthodontic treatments to suit your needs and budget, including traditional braces, clear braces, Invisalign®, and more.
Schedule your consultation today to learn more about how we can help you achieve a smile you love.
Contact us today.
We look forward to helping you achieve a smile you can be proud of!